Sunday, December 7, 2008

Outside Reading #7

The article I read to day was about a memorial service that was held for a college prep school teacher, Lee Jones. Jones taught history at Shattuck-St.Mary's. Jones shot and killed himself with a handgun on campus this past Friday. Boys in seventh through ninth grade heard the gun shot from their dorms. Jones' co-workers tried to helped him, leaving students moved. Unfortunately he ignored the help. Jones was a popular teacher and lacrosse coach, and very well liked. When I read this article I created two points of view. One of the views is from Jones' perspective. As much as I don't even want to think about putting myself in Jones' position, I've realized he must have been in a great deal of pain. Enough pain to kill himself. This made me wonder, if I became that depressed would I want help? After reading this article I googled depression. The results I got included a very interesting fact. People with depression believe no one can help them. This fact gave me mixed feelings. Did Jones' do the right or the wrong thing? Then I came up with a conclusion, everyone has their own opinion about death. Maybe Jones felt like death would help him. My second point of view is from the people and loved ones Jones leaves behind. For all of them it's a very tragic event. When I put myself in their shoes the first thing I thought about was, what kind of impression did Jones leave on them? Do they look at life and death differently? My hopes are that they realize to ask for help when needed. Whether it's depression or homework everyone should ask for help.

This entire article can be found here.

No comments: