Sunday, October 12, 2008

Currently in Gossip Girl the drama is evolving around this wedding between Eleanor and Cyrus. Whether the drama is between Blair and Serena, or between Blair and Aaron, it all traces back to the wedding. I'm fortunate to say my parents are still married, and as a result I've never had to experience a divorce and/or stepparents. When reading this part of the story I can't help but think, "if I were in Blair's position how would I handle it." And then I realize, I would be an absolute mess. A nasty divorce, never getting to see your dad, and weird stepdad and stepbrother. It would all be too much. My conclusion to my own question also made me rethink my personal view on Blair's character. Blair's character is categorized as a "bitchy character". She's been a bitchy character in the first book as well. When I think about her situations I understand her "bitchiness". Since the beginning of the first book Blair has been experiencing some pretty negative situations. And due to experiencing negative situations, Blair has become a bitch. A flat out mean, whinny character. In this case I'm cutting Blair some slack. My view of Blair has gone from a stuck up brat to a girl whose just trying to make it through her difficult life.

1 comment:

Miggs said...

Suzie,

I think that it's important that you have been able to consider what it would be like to deal with divorce and/or stepparents since this is a reality that so many kids have to deal with in their lives. You likely have friends or classmates who have been through these things. Realizing that people have things going on in their personal lives that can influence their behavior is important to consider as you interact with people with a variety of backgrounds and experiences throughout your life. You said that dealing with a divorce and all that comes with it, " would all be too much," and so the next time you encounter someone who you find disagreeable, remember Blair and all that she's been through. This is usually more difficult than it sounds. Can you think of an example in your life when you might have been too harsh or mean toward someone? Did you consider their personal circumstances at the time?