Sunday, January 4, 2009

Outside Reading #11

Today my sister left for Israel with a group called "Birth Right." Birth Right is a program supporting Jewish people from ages eight-teen to twenty-two to travel to Israel to be inspired by their culture. Due to the fact that the war in Israel is very serious right now, my family and I are constantly checking the internet, television, and family members for updates. In that case I came across this article on CNN.com. According to the article thousands of Israeli troops pushed into Gaza. The troops were backed by tanks and helicopters, and gained control in the northern part of Gaza. The crucial air attacks that Israel has conducted began on December 27th of 2008. Since then five-hundred Palestinians have been killed. And 2,600 Palestinians have been seriously injured. Since Israeli troops have invaded Gaza on Saturday, thirty-seven Palestinians have been killed. Those thirty-seven Palestinians killed were both militants and civilians. This entire event, and it's background is very depressing to me. Even though I was born in the U.S. and I live in the U.S. I feel as if I am apart of two wars. I have family and family friends that both live in Israel and participate in the Israeli Army. My hope is that one day my generation will solve today's problems, and make the world a better place.

the entire article can be found here.

No comments: