Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blog #5

This week I have finished the famous novel, In the Time of the Butterflies, written by Julia Alverez.The story was very interesting, however it felt like I was reading more than one story. In this novel there are many characters. The characters who narrate the story are the four Mirabal sisters, Dede, Mate, Minerva, and Patria. Each has a different point of view on what is occuring in the story. For example during the movement Minerva is very involved and Dede is not at all. This caused two stories to form. One from Dede's perspective, not involved with the movement. And Minerva's perspective, a radical, deeply involved in the movement. This created a thruough but confusing story. What I found most interesting about this story was that it was based on a true story. When I read some of the details about the girls lives or about the shocking things that occured. I couldn't believe it. I was so appauled by some of the things that were occuring that it kept me reading. As terrible as it sounds, it's the truth. To anyone questioning to read this novel I highly reccommened it to history buffs.

Alvarez, Julia.In the Time of the Butterflies.1994, New York. Penguin Group.

No comments: